Friday, June 14, 2013

The definition of "Family"

In my work, I work with families of all types... I've done this since I was 18, coming close to 10 years and counting!  I am still amazed by some of what I encounter.  There are families who are the best support system and co-advocates for their family members with disabilities. There are also those that break my heart and leave me questioning the definition of "family."  I have had a case for the past few months that has continuously broken my heart and kept me awake in the night.  Family members who do not want the best for their family members, who would sacrifice their family's safety, well-being and overall quality of life is just appalling and mind-baffling to me!!
Now, I didn't get dropped into the "picture perfect" family!  I say that including myself as part of that not-so "picture perfect-ness".  One thing I've had from Day 1, is that I can always count on is their never-ending support and love.  We can have our battles (I'm part Cajun, so they can be intense!), but when its time, we are there for each other!  In my family, disability simply means I may do things differently, need some assistance every so often but it is nothing more.  I have the same life value as anyone, the same types of future outlook and same responsibilities as any other young adult.  In my family, this was natural.  It didn't seem like there was any other way a family would function.
Unfortunately, all families do not function as my family does.  Like the case I mentioned above, I was called in on emergency situation.  In these instances, it is hard to know how to prepare.  I definitely wasn't prepared emotionally, but there truly isn't a way to do so.  Without giving personal details, this case has involved a young adult who was finishing high school, there was knowledge of emotional abuse and possible physical abuse.  This young adult had won the hearts of some key administration, who feared the future after school.  This led to myself and an ally agency being contacted.  After meeting the young adult, seeing the administration who believed in this young adult, I had no other option but to do what I could to ensure that this young adult didn't suffer because the family didn't know their duty and what they were discarding.  In a month, this young adult has been removed from that negativity, given the right to have a life of quality.  This young adult is also learning the definition of family.  This young adult has me as a big sister, a couple of aunts, a mom and a big brother, all of no relation, who are here to support this young adult in their quest towards independence.  Unfortunately, there is a long road of learning skills and behaviors that were never taught because the family dismissed this person's personhood and future, but we are determined to be that family that never existed.
I say all of that to say that I've had numerous days recently where I've stopped and just relished in the family that I have.  I am blessed with a great biological family, who have sacrificed so much so that I could have the best quality of life.  I also have a great extended family of big brothers and sisters who mean so much to me.  I am unable to express how thankful I am for all of my family.  My work continually reminds me to be grateful for what I have and to be sure to express it to them.  So, think about what family means to you.  Make sure those who mean the most to you know it and know that you are there to support them, when needed.  That's what family is. 

4 comments:

  1. It is so sad when biological families are not supportive. I so glad this young adult has been placed in contact with you and your team Cindy. Family is all about love and support and now this young adult has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! It is extremely sad especially for the ones not being supportive. They don't know what they're missing.

      Delete
  2. It's good to know that this young person has an excellent support team like you and the others you mentioned. I, too, often think back over my life and how I railed at some of the things I thought I was being deprived of unfairly and now I think, "Ah! I'm so glad they did that for me, that they cared enough to do that for me." While I didn't come from a family who had physical disabilities, we had other hurdles we had to overcome. Life is life and people are people. Just because one functions in different ways to get the same job done does /not/ lessen their status as a fellow person. It's a very sad thing when people do not get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I agree that this is a needed thing for all families! That is something all families need to realize. That's great that you've had that and can share those principles with your children. I'm thankful for mine, especially with the disability factor, but I know it would've been there know matter the factors.

      Delete